You are receiving this message because you have indicated your support for the New York State Principals' Open Letter Regarding the NYS APPR Legislation (www.newyorkprincipals.org
). We thank you for your support and would like to provide you with an update on all that has happened over these past few weeks. As always, the most recent version of the APPR Position paper (with all signatures) is available at: http://www.newyorkprincipals.org/appr-paper
. Given that the paper with signatures is 100 pages long, we have also created a separate link for the four-page paper alone
Some numbers to report:
- Over 1213 New York State principals have signed the letter: that's almost 27% of all principals in NYS!
- We have over 5100 supporters now -- teachers, supervisors, parents, superintendents and board members included!
Events of the Past Weeks:
- Hudson Valley principals met to find ways to build support for the APPR Position Paper. This is the type of networking that is essential to continued growth of our movement. Please consider organizing within your region to build support!
- Much has been written and said about Governor Cuomo’s State of the State address. Education reporters picked up on his call for an education commission, often referencing our movement as one of the forces pushing back against the implementation of APPR.
Some Steps to Take:
We need to continue to build support for our position! It is particularly important that we expand our support upstate. Our next target is to have the support of 40% of the principals in New York State. This is achievable with all of your assistance!
- Reach out and Touch Someone! Stop reading this email and contact a colleague, friend or parent and ask them to support the paper! Look through the list of signatories and see if you know someone who should be on the list but has not signed on yet! You can find a complete list of signatories through : http://www.newyorkprincipals.org/appr-paper. But really…stop reading! Contact somebody! In fact, contact three people!
- Contact your local Legislator! The legislature can make the changes to the APPR system. Unfortunately, many are simply not aware of the complex issues related to the APPR system as created by SED. The last thing that they want, however, is controversy come elections next November. Contact your local legislator and let him or her hear about your concerns. This simple step will make a difference!
- Share the letter with your colleagues -- teachers, principals, central office administrators -- and encourage them to support it. The more signatures we get, the more powerful our message will become! Everyone is welcome to support the letter! In fact, perhaps you can reach out and personally contact someone and ask for support (see point #1, above!).
- We need more parents! Make your parents aware of the issues related to APPR and encourage them to support the letter.
- Tweet, Share, Facebook or whatever it takes to get the message out! We have a number of signatories from out of state! Remember: www.newyorkprincipals.org
Thank you once again for taking a stand on such an important issue!
Thank you for your courage to stand up for our students and schools.
Sean and Carol
Sean C. Feeney, Ph.D.
The Wheatley School
11 Bacon Road
Old Westbury, NY 11568