You are receiving this message because you have indicated your support for the New York State Principals' Open Letter Regarding the NYS APPR Legislation (www.newyorkprincipals.org
). We thank you for your support and would like to provide you with an update on all that has happened over this past week. As always, the most recent version of the APPR Position paper (with all signatures) is available at: http://www.newyorkprincipals.org/appr-paper
Some numbers to report:
- Over 870 New York State principals have signed the letter: that's over 19% of all principals in NYS!
- We have nearly 4500 supporters now -- teachers, supervisors, parents, superintendents and board members included!
- Over 3300 of our supporters identify themselves at teachers!
- The Clarkstown North PTSA adopted voted unanimously to support our paper and recommendations!
- This week, NYSUT began an aggressive campaign to prevent its members from signing the petition. This is most puzzling to us, as we feel that the present legislation is most harmful to students, schools and teachers. Kindly visit our website for our response to NYSUT's concerns (www.newyorkprincipals.org/clarification-points).
- The Regents are meeting on Monday and Tuesday. It is our understanding that the APPR legislation will be part of the discussion. Please contact your local Regent with some of your concerns and a copy of the APPR letter.
- Carol and I have been invited to speak in Albany this Wednesday about the APPR legislation. This is a wonderful opportunity to get our voices heard. Feel free to share any stories or concerns you have with either of us.
Some Steps to Take:
We need to continue to build support for our position! It is particularly important that we increase support upstate. Some steps you need to take include:
- Contact your local Regent! They are in meeting this Monday and Tuesday. Let them know how your feel about APPR! Carol and I have contacted each of them, but a note from one of their local school officials will be more powerful.
- Share the letter with your colleagues -- teachers, principals, central office administrators -- and encourage them to support it. The more signatures we get, the more powerful our message will become! Everyone is welcome to support the letter!
- We need more parents! Make your parents aware of the issues related to APPR and encourage them to support the letter.
- Tweet, Share, Facebook or whatever it takes to get the message out! We have a number of signatories from out of state! Remember: www.newyorkprincipals.org
Thank you once again for taking a stand on such an important issue!
Sean and Carol
Sean C. Feeney, Ph.D.
The Wheatley School
11 Bacon Road
Old Westbury, NY 11568